By Carter B. Horsley
This 25-story building was designed by Clinton
& Russell in 1929 and was formerly the headquarters of Calawalder
Wickersham & Taft, the law firm. It was converted into rental
apartments in 2005 by Frank Lazarian who acquired it for $57 million.
The conversion was financed with about $98 million in Liberty
Avinash K. Malhotra was the architect for the
conversion, which has about 336 apartments.
The building has a fitness center, a sundeck,
a 24-hour concierge, valet service, and a garage. Many apartments
have 9 to 12-foot-high ceilings and "in-house" safes
and there are some terraces and some units with home offices.
The building is notable for its 100-foot-high,
The building is convenient to public transportation
and is not far from the South Street Seaport.