One of two nearly identical
apartment towers on the east blockfront of Sutton Place South
between 54th and 55th Street, Cannon Point North was built in
1959 and converted to a cooperative in 1973.
This building has a warm
orange-pink brick facade in contrast to the white-brick facade
of Cannon Point South, just to the south. This building also has
a one-story, red, polished granite base flanking its recessed,
landscaped and canopied entrance. Its rather unusually colored
facade has held up well over the years and while not as rich as
red it is not as garish as one might have thought originally.
The 320-unit, 21-story building,
which is cantilevered over the FDR Drive, is one story taller
and has 43 apartments more than Cannon Point South.
While the facades of these
two buildings are relatively plain, the large windows and slightly
modulated fronts are quite attractive and pleasant, and the Sutton
Place ambiance is superb: quiet, understated and elegant. Although
some of the riverfront properties here have their own impressive
gardens, there is a nice, small park also at the terminus of 57th
Street where there is also a cross-town bus stop.
The undeniable charm of
the area has always made its residents superfluous to the less
than magnificent blocks between it and midtown. The area is never
crowded except for July 4th when Macy's holds its spectacular
fireworks display further down the river and hordes come for the
excellent vantage points.
River views from this area
have always been heralded for the romantic Queensborough Bridge,
but in the late 1990's they became more interesting because of
the new high-rise towers at Queens West, a major residential development
in Queens across from the United Nations.