By Carter B. Horsley
This very handsome apartment building was erected
in 1928 and designed by Cross & Cross.
The 15-story building, which is one of the
most attractive on East End Avenue, used to also front on Marie
Curie Avenue, which was removed to accommodate the FDR Drive.
In a September 2, 2007 article in The
New York Times, Christopher Gray wrote that the "neo-Georgian"
building was the first apartment building on East End Avenue and
went up about the same time as the Neo-Georgian-style Chapin School
a few blocks to the north on the short avenue. "Each floor
was divided into three apartments , the northerly unit running
from the East River to the East End, so fresh air could rush past
the three double doors on the balcony of the 14-by-26-foot living
room, through the 7-by-25-foot foyer and then out the windows
of the library....The construction of 25 East End was somewhat
daring since the avenue south of 84th Street was still industrial."
Mr. Gray also noted that Charles MacArthur, the author of "The
Front Page" and his wife, Helen Hayes, the actress, lived
in the building and that in 2007 a 10-room apartment on the 14th
floor sold for $4.3 million. (9/10/07)
The building has a two-story stone base and
is distinguished by its bold quoins and finials. It has many balconies
facing the river.
The building's elegance led to the erection
the following year of 1 East End Avenue on the block just to the
south on an trapezoidal site that is only 29 feet wide at the
south end, where there is an entrance to the FDR Drive.
The two buildings complement one another very
well and had the Depression not intervened might have led to the
creation of one of the city's most impressive residential avenues.
The southern terminus of East End Avenue is
the full-block model tenement project known as City &