By Carter B. Horsley
A very handsome Italian-Renaissance-palazzo-style
building designed by Nathan Korn, this building was erected in
1925 and converted to a cooperative in 1953.
The 14-story building has only 15 apartments
and is just to the north of the exquisite, fenced mansion designed
by Hale & Rogers and erected in 1908 for Edward S. Harkness,
a founder of the Standard Oil Company, and now the headquarters
of the Commonwealth Fund.
Korn was the architect also of 956 Fifth Avenue
at 77th Street, another very fine apartment house.
With its fine detailed limestone facade, spectacular
Central Park views, attractive entrance and prime, quiet location
close to fashionable boutiques of Madison Avenue, this is a very
desirable building. It has a canopied entrance with sidewalk landscaping,
but no garage. It has inconsistent fenestration.