By Carter B. Horsley
This pleasant, red-brick apartment building
in the heart of the desirable Carnegie Hill neighborhood was erected
in 1930 and converted to a cooperative in 1951. The 18-story edifice
has 73 apartments.
It was designed by Schwartz & Gross, the
architectural firm whose other Park Avenue buildings include 470,
525, 885, 888, 910, 911, 930, 941, 970, 983, 1045, 1070, 1105,
1125 and 1165.
The building has a two-story limestone base
and a very handsome frieze and an ornamental balcony below the
fifth floor. It has a canopied entrance, sidewalk landscaping
and attractive terraces on the top four floors. It has inconsistent
fenestration and protruding air-conditioners.
There are many fine private schools in this
neighborhood as well as many cultural and religious institutions.
The building is convenient to public transportation and excellent