By Carter B. Horsley
This attractive, brown-brick, 16-story apartment
building was erected in 1927 and converted to a condominium in
1981. It has 60 apartments.
The building is around the corner from to a
local subway station at Lexington Avenue and 96th Street and there
is excellent crosstown bus service on 96th Street.
The building has nice detailing on the lower
portion of its facade and attractive masonry quoins at the 96th
Street corner. It has lanterns flanking its canopied entrance,
no sidewalk landscaping and it has inconsistent fenestration and
permits protruding air-conditioners.
There are many fine private schools in this
neighborhood as well as many cultural and religious institutions.
The Mt. Sinai Hospital complex is a few blocks north on Madison
For much of the 20th Century, 96th Street was
the boundary between the Upper East Side and East Harlem, but
towards the end of the century new apartment construction in the
vicinity began to somewhat blur that boundary.