By Carter B. Horsley
This 14-story apartment building
at 241 West 97th Street was erected in 1921 and designed by Schwarz
& Gross, one of the city's most active residential architects
of the early part of the 20th Century.
The building was converted
to residential condominiums in 2007 and has 167 units.
It is known as The Sabrina
and is also known as 240 West 98th Street.
It has a doorman and a canopied
entrance flanked by a decorative surround and lighting sconces.
The building has some duplex
units and many units have vaulted ceilings and arched hallway
entrances and servant's rooms. It permits protruding air-conditioners
and has a one-story limestone baseand bandcourses above the third
and 12th floors.
It has no garage, no balcoies
and no sidewalk landscaping.
The building is close to an
express subway station at 96th Street and one block south of two
new residential skyscrapers erected by Extell Development.
It is convenient to the entrance
to the West Side Highway and Riverside Park.
Schwartz & Gross also designed
the Colosseum, Strathmore and Paterno apartment buildings on Riverside
Drive, 500, 600, 700 West End Avenue, 885, 910, 911, 930, 941,
970, 983, 1045, 1070, 1085, 1111 and 1185 Park Avenue, 55 and
241 Central Park West and the Mark Hotel.