Anchoring the southwest
end of Carl Schurz Park, 1 Gracie Square sports one of the city's
most unusual façades. On both Gracie Square and East End
Avenue, its facades are asymmetrical and quite collagist. Limestone
is used on the base but at varying heights and its quoins are
irregular in places.
The mixed stylistic treatment
of this handsome building is not dissimilar from that used at
10 Gracie Square (see The City Review
article) at the other end of this short block, but that building
is a bit more formal and this is more whimsical, if not fill of
This building, which has
a very attractive rooftop watertank enclosure, was erected in
1929 and converted to a cooperative in 1965. The 16-story structure
has only 20 apartments.
Anthony Paterno was the
developer and he convinced Elizabeth Sanderson to sell her four-story
building at the corner in return for being able to get a duplex
with a 60-foot-long living room in the new building.
In early 1929 while the
building was still in construction, Paterno sold its two maisonette
triplex cooperative apartments, and residents were beginning to
move in when the stock market crashed in October.
The building's exterior
is unusual as it is asymmetrical and quite collagist.
In a March 4, 2007 article
in The New York Times on a renovation of the building,
Christopher Gray noted that "The Gracie Square side is an
interlocking puzzle of vertical runs of quoining, horizontal courses
of stone, irregular balconies and oddly placed moldings,"
adding that "even the brick varies: the east section is a
darker shade than the west."
"On the roof,"
Mr. Gray continued, "the water tank enclosure, often a throwaway
item, was handled like a Gothic folly, its octagonal form held
up by buttresses. The crowing touch was a faceted copper roof
ringed by gargoyles and topped with a weather vane in the form
of a two-masted sailing ship.