By Carter B. Horsley
This distinguished, 15-story apartment house
clad in limestone and pale beige brick above a four-story, rusticated
limestone base has very attractive ornamentation and is one of
the better looking major buildings on the avenue.
Its sidestreet facade is particularly handsome
and well designed with a very impressive entrance and sidewalk
The building has 56 large apartments and was
completed in 1926. It was designed by John B. Peterkin, who was
best known for his very fine Art Deco-style Airlines Terminal
Building of 1940 on the southwest corner of Park Avenue and 42nd
Street that was subsequently replaced by the headquarters building
of Philip Morris.
This building, which has three arched windows
on the third floor facing the avenue, has a prime and relatively
quiet location along the avenue's "Museum Mile" across
from the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Surprisingly, the building's
rooftop watertank is not enclosed. The building has a large and
very impressive balcony on the sidestreet, shown above.
Handsome lanterns flank the building's one-step-up
entrance as shown in the above photograph. Designed in an Italian-Renaissance-palazzo
style, the building has a nice cornice.
It has a very impressive, canopied sidestreet
entrance and lobby, a concierge, a doorman, and great views, but
no garage and no health club. It permits protruding air-conditioners
and unfortunately some "discrete" air-conditioners were
allowed that broke into a decorative bandcourse as shown in the
above photograph. The lobby is one of the most impressive and
elegant in the city.