By Carter B. Horsley
This handsome apartment building was designed
by J. E. R. Carpenter, the foremost architect of luxury residential
buildings in the city of his generation.
His other buildings on Fifth Avenue include
810, 825, 907, 920, 950, 988, 1030, 1035, 1060, 1115, 1120, 1143,
1148, 1150 and 1170 as well as 2 East 66th Street.
Erected in 1925, the 16-story building, which
has 61 apartments, was converted to a cooperative in 1947. It
is almost a twin of 1170 Fifth Avenue and their entrances face
each other across the sidestreet. 1170 Fifth Avenue was built
as a cooperative in 1926 and has the same number of stories and
apartments as 1165, and both buildings were built by Dwight P.
Robinson & Company and owned by J. H. C. Corporation of which
John H. Carpenter was president.
Carpenter had built a similar set of "twins"
just before this pair at 1115 and 1120 Fifth Avenue at 93rd Street.
Needless to say, these "twins" are the epitome of "contextual"
architecture. Both have very large and handsome wrought-iron marquees
over their entrances on the sidestreet.
These two are one block north of the westbound
Central Park transverse road at 97th Street and a block south
of the large "campus" of Mt. Sinai Hospital. They are
also quite close to a school and a church and many of the interesting
cultural institutions along Fifth Avenue’s "Museum Mile."
A local subway station is at 96th Street and
Lexington Avenue and a large children’s playground is just
within Central Park on the south side of 96th Street.
This building has a doorman, a concierge, and
sidewalk landscaping, but no balconies, no garage and no health
It is very close to Mt. Sinai Hospital and
close to Fifth Avenue's "Museum Mile."