By Carter B. Horsley
This 19-story, 144-unit cooperative
building on the northeast corner at 74th Street was completed in 1940 and replaced mansions owned by
the Chapin, Rentschler and Schiff families.
Built by Harold and Percy Uris
and designed by Emery Roth, this classical style apartment house
with Italian Renaissance motifs has a superlative location facing
Central Park and overlooking the boat pond.
While similar to other apartment
houses designed by Roth, this is quite formal, but its fine proportions
and nice detailing and drop-dead location more than make up for
any lack of exuberance.
There is a pleasant assortment
of architectural fašade treatments: Greek volutes, bracketed
loggia, balustrades, pilasters, broken pediments and even some
cherubs' faces. Interestingly, the entrance is on the sidestreet.
Although many of Roth's designs
at the time this was constructed were more streamlined, few have
as an assured and strong composition.