This very distinguished,
brown-brick, 15-story apartment house was built in two parts.
The first section, at the Madison Avenue corner, was erected in
1925 and an extension to the west was completed three years later.
The two parts are almost seamless, although the division can be
seen in the facade where there are smaller windows on the cross-street.
The building, which is highlighted by a very
attractive, rooftop watertank enclosure, was converted to a cooperative
in 1946. It has only 19 apartments.
Designed by William H. Rowan, it has a three-and-a-half
story limestone base with a half-story gray granite bottom and
large lanterns flanking its canopied entrance that has very attractive
doors that lead to a small lobby. The building has inconsistent
fenestration and no sidewalk landscaping and permits protruding
It has many good views of Central Park because
the block across 79th Street is low-rise.
The building's location is convenient to the
Metropolitan Museum to the north and the formerWhitney Museum of American
Art building to the south and there are many boutiques and restaurants
nearby. There is good cross-town bus service, but also considerable
traffic at this location, and the nearest subway station is not
too far away at 77th Street and Lexington Avenue near Lenox Hill
The building has a canopied entrance with a doorman,
but no garage, no balconies and no health club.