By Carter B. Horsley
This attractive and sedate, red-brick, 14-story apartment building was completed in 1925 by the Bricken Construction Company and designed by Schwartz & Gross, a team that also erected such other nearby buildings as 1070, 1085, 1165 and 1185 Park Avenue.
The building's 77 apartments all have fireplaces and most have large, square reception halls.
The building was converted to a cooperative in 1957 and its large apartments, many up to nine rooms with four bathrooms, are much in demand in this quiet, prime and very attractive Carnegie Hill location that is noted for its churches and schools.
It has a very nice two-story
limestone base with a tall, oval window above the entrance pediment
flanked by cornucopia. The building has a nice cornice and quoins,
sidewalk landscaping, protruding air-conditioners, inconsistent
fenestration and no garage.