By Carter B. Horsley
This understated but grand apartment building
was erected in 1912 and converted to a cooperative in 1946.
It was designed by J. E. R. Carpenter, the
leading architect of luxury apartment buildings in the city of
his generation. His other Park Avenue buildings include 550, 580,
625, 630, 640, 655, 812, 950, 960 and 1050. His Fifth Avenue buildings
include 810, 825, 907, 920, 950, 988, 1030, 1035, 1060, 1115,
1120, 1143, 1150, 1165 and 1170 as well as 2 East 66th Street.
The 13-story apartment building has only 16
apartments, most of which have very spectacular layouts with a
circular foyer 13-and-half feet in diameter, a 30’6"
by 18’6" living room, a dining room 27’ by 18’6"
and a salon 18’6" by 13’6". The building has
a finely detailed, light-brown brick facade in Italian-Renaissance-palazzo
style. It replaced an apartment house known as the Adelaide that
had been designed by Henry J. Hardenbergh, the architect of the
Dakota at 1 West 72nd Street and the Plaza Hotel.
The building, which has a canopied entrance
and a doorman, is across the sidestreet from the battlements of
the impressive 7th Regiment Armory building that was erected in
1880. The armory, which was designed by Charles W. Clinton, is
home now to the First Battalion, 107th Infantry, New York Army
National Guard and traces its history to the 7th Regiment that
was formed in 1906 and how been located on the Bowery between
6th and 7th Streets. It has impressive interiors and now has a
tennis club and is the scene of many important art and antiques
This area of Park Avenue is very desirable
because of its proximity to midtown, many religious institutions
and clubs, fashionable boutiques and restaurants and excellent
public transportation. Cross-town bus service and a local subway
station are very close.