214 Riverside Drive
214 Riverside Drive
By Carter B.
its angled facade and
very impressive entrance, this handsome, 7-story building at 214 Riverside Drive
between 93rd and 94th Streets is
one of the most
distinctive on the boulevard. It is known as the Chatillion.
Built in 1901, the 103-unit building was converted to a cooperative in 1985.
With its mutli-columned entrance topped by a balustraded balcony, this building resembles a mansion more than an apartment house and its neo-classical detailing and white-brick and limestone facade make it one of the most attractive mid-rise buildings on Riverside Drive.
Many of the apartments have fine excellent views of the Hudson River and Riverside Park.
The building features a majestic portico with towering columns and the buildings fašade and entranceway have many ornate architectural elements. Originally built with 2 dwellings per floor, the building presently offers 15 apartments per floor.
Many notable residents have called 214 Riverside Drive their home. For example, John Dos Passos, a prolific American Novelist lived at 214 Riverside Drive as he wrote Manhattan Transfer.
The Chatillion features a common roof deck with mesmerizing views of the Hudson River, laundry in the basement, a live-in super who will accept packages by day and for evening security there is a doorman present from 6PM to 6AM.
The building is located across the street from the Joan of Arc Park and Riverside Park, close to some of the best restaurants and stores the Upper West Side has to offer, the Symphony Space, multiple bus lines and the 1/2/3 subway lines.
Its name, Chatillion, is chiseled into the limestone above its entrance. It is also known as 318 West 94th Street. The name comes a from a Parisian suburb.
According to a New York Times article, it was designed by J. Cleveland Cady, who also designed the Metropolitan Opera House on 39th Street and Broadway, and buildings for the American Museum of Natural History, Presbyterian Hospital and Yale University. He was also president of the National Federation of Churches.
Mr. Cady lived in the building but a designation report for the Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1989 said that the building's architect was Stein, Cohen & Roth and that the developer was Bernard S. Levy.
It also said that the site was once "part of the grounds of Mt. Aubrey, a mansion built by Jacob C. Mott (later the property of Richard L. Schieffelin) that was destroyed by fire in 1877."
A quirky and interesting, mid-rise building with a very impressive but angled entrance, a rounded corner and fire-escapes.
The building has a two-story, rusticated limestone base with a four-step-up, colonnaded and angled entrance with a handsome balustraded balcony above the second story, a rounded corner with rusticated pilasters and fire-escapes on the side-street. There are window surrounds on the third and fourth floors facing the drive.
The building has a part-time doorman, a live-in superintendent, a roof deck and a laundry. It is pet-friendly.
Apartment 204 is a one-bedroom unit with a 25-foot-long living room and an open kitchen.
Apartment 709 is a one-bedroom unit with a 37-foot-long hall that leads past an enclosed kitchen to a 19-foot-long living room.
Apartment 111 is a studio unit with a 20-foot-long living/dining room with a decorative fireplace next to a 7-foot-long enclosed and windowed kitchen.
It has no sundeck, no health
club and no garage.