5 Riverside Drive, center
By Carter B. Horsley
good-looking, red-brick building
at 5 Riverside Drive on the southeast corner at 73rd Street is the
first major high-rise building at the south end of Riverside Drive.
Built in 1937, the 20-story
is adjacent to the Philip and Maria Kleeberg House, an official New
landmark at 3 Riverside Drive that is a spectacular
townhouse designed by Charles Pierrepont H. Gilbert in 1898.
Many of the 109 apartments in this
building, which was designed by Boak & Paris, have large picture
windows to take advantage of its spectacular park
and Hudson River views. The building,
which was converted to a cooperative in 1969, is
close to an express subway stop on Broadway and not far from Lincoln
building has many superb park and river views, a doorman, some terraces
and large picture windows, but it has no health club, no balconies, no
roof deck and no garage.
attractions are apartments with dropped living rooms, dining galleries and decorative fireplaces. The
building has round-the-clock service and a live-in superintendent,
laundry, storage and a bike room.
building has a one-story white stone base that extends partially to the
second story in the center of the building that also has white stone
spandrels. The building's fenestration is asymmetric and it has
several setbacks at the top of the building, each capped by a white
Page of The City Review