By Carter B. Horsley
This sprightly, dark-brown
brick apartment building was erected in 1922 and converted to
a cooperative in 1979.
The 15-story, midblock building
has 63 apartments was designed by Schwartz & Gross for the
West End Corporation.
Although the center portion
of the facade is plain, the building has nice accents. It has
a decorative balcony on the second floor from the top of the building
whose center portion is raised slightly above the ends. The lower
and top two floors have handsome terracotta window surrounds topped
with pediments. Third-story windows have stone enframements with
fluted pilasters and the windows have flat pediments at the center
and triangular pediments at the end with urns and garlands. Double-height
terracotta enframements with decorative spandrels join the 14th
and 15th story windows are capped by triangular pediments and
the building's parapet is stepped at the center. The site was
fomerly occupied by 3 three-story rowhouses.
The building has a canopied
entrance and a doorman, but no concierge. It has protruding air-conditioners
and inconsistent fenestration and no sidewalk landscaping, no
health club and no garage.
It is one block to the east
from Riverside Park and one block to the west of convenient neighborhood
shopping on Broadway. It is also very convenient to excellent
crosstown bus service on 86th Street and not far from a local
subway station at 86th Street and Broadway. This area has undergone
significant upgrading in the 1980's and 1990's and is now one
of the most desirable on the Upper West Side.